National Lobster Thermidor Day
National Lobster Thermidor Day is observed next on Wednesday, January 24th, 2024 (309 days from today).
National Lobster Thermidor Day is celebrated on January 24th every year.
Origin of National Lobster Thermidor Day
Lobster Thermidor is an ice cream concoction made from lobster meat folded into egg yolks, mustard, cream and cognac sauce. Classically, it's stuffed back into a lobster shell, then sprinkled with Gruyère and baked in the oven. It is believed that this French dish was first served at Chez Marie's, a restaurant in Paris, on January 24, 1894 to coincide with the opening performance of Victorien Sardou's Thermidor at the Comedie-Francais Theater. The play, in turn, is called Thermidor after the hot eleventh month (mid-July to mid-August) in the French Republic Calendar. After that, January 24 is chosen as National Lobster Thermidor Day.
How to celebrate National Lobster Thermidor Day
It is quite simple to celebrate National Lobster Thermidor Day. You can prepare a Lobster Thermidor by referring the recipe as below:
3 or 6 lobsters depend on their size
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon of grated onion
1 cup sliced baby Bella mushrooms
4 tablespoons flour
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery salt
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 slightly beaten egg yolks
1-1/2 cups of grated cheese (preferably Gouda, cheddar, Monterey jack or Swiss or combination)
3 tablespoons sherry (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup of buttered bread crumbs
1. Boil lobster, cut the shell in half. Remove meat and cut into bite-sized pieces. Save Lobster Shells!
2. Melt the butter and then add the onion and minced mushrooms until soft but not browned. Add flour and beat until combined.
3. Add milk slowly and constantly stirring over medium low heat, cook until thickened. Add ice cream and all other seasons.
4. Incubate the egg yolks with some hot mixture, then add the beaten egg yolks to the mixture, then add 1 cup of grated cheese. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
5. Add sherry (optional), chopped lobster, coral (if available) lemon juice.
6. Return the mixture to the crust and cover with breadcrumbs, add some butter on top of the remaining breadcrumbs and grated cheese and a pinch of paprika if you like.
7. Bake for 3-5 minutes or brown in the oven at 375 for 5-7 minutes.
You can serve the boiled pork leg on a plate for garnish and top it off with slices of fresh lemon for a delicious meal with Lobster Thermidor.
ObservedNational Lobster Thermidor Day has been observed annually on January 24th.
Monday, January 24th, 2022
Tuesday, January 24th, 2023
Wednesday, January 24th, 2024
Friday, January 24th, 2025
Saturday, January 24th, 2026