National Nougat Day
National Nougat Day is observed next on Tuesday, March 26th, 2024 (28 days from today).
March 26th is celebrated as National Nougat Day every year, mainly in the United States. It's a fun foodie holiday in which people come together to enjoy various nougats together.
History of National Nougat Day
Illusion effects and magical journeys are part of the history of nougat. Although today it is enjoyed worldwide with each region adding its unique flavor to it, there is much controversy about its exact origin.
Some historical scholars suggest that the first recorded case of the consumption of almonds was in the Middle East in the 10th century. Iraq, Syria and Turkey have a number of manuscripts that are centuries old indicate their existence. There were also some evidence of nougat existing in the first century in Rome. Another fascinating story about the origin of the marzipan is about a chef who invented the recipe on the spot in honor of a soon-to-be couple.
As globalization increased over the centuries, the humble marzipan that traveled from the Middle East to Europe, and then to the rest of the world, became just as popular. Before its popularity, nougat was considered as a kind of luxury candy and only used on some occasions such as weddings, birthdays, Christmas, etc. During World War II, it was also distributed among soldiers to raise their morale.
The word 'nougat' comes from the French dialect of Occitan and it means 'grain bread' or 'nut bread', which is interesting because it doesn't have any of the main ingredients that make up bread except eggs and only egg whites. Because of its delicious taste, National Nougat Day has a special position in their hearts.
Why National Nougat Day?
Nougats are a candy-like variety that comes in a variety of forms and flavors. They can be both chewy and hard like traditional candies. It is called 'torrone' in Italy and 'turron' in Spain. There is only a slight difference in pronunciation. It can be made with a variety of ingredients depending on preference, but is mostly brought together using corn syrup.
Nouns are very common all over the world. They are also used as sweeteners inside chocolate bars to give them different flavors. Nouns are basically of three types, namely -
1. White Nougat - made from egg whites, sugar, nuts and honey
2. Brown Nougat is quite similar to white marzipan but expect egg whites and with caramelized sugar, making it much darker and denser.
3. Vietnamese or German Nougat - made with sugar, chocolate and almonds.
Nougats are the perfect snack for those with a sweet tooth. The popularity of the marzipan and the many ways it is used have made it indispensable in the dessert industry. It is a wonderful opportunity to enjoy nougat with the sweet people you love as you indulge your sweet tooth.
Why National Nougat Day is loved?
- It's a celebration of a sweet
Be it marzipan with chocolate or nuts and raisins, coffee or even wine, it's still a delicious treat that satisfies the senses with a variety of textures. Nougat's versatility means you can add your options to it and still make it great.
- It is a celebration of cultural similarities
Historians have been debating the true origins of nougat as it has appeared in several regions of the world for centuries. Interestingly, there is little or no chance for these areas to have any contact with outsiders as tourism is increasingly scarce due to its danger and length in the old days. In spite of the geographical distances and the importance of nougat in many cultures, nougat became more and more popular.
- It's a memory of our sweet tooth
It is universally acknowledged that human beings have a stomach of their own to hold all sweets/desserts.
How Can We Observe National Nougat Day?
Everyone can choose a separated way to celebrate National Nougat Day by themselves. One way to celebrate this day is for everyone to enjoy this delicious dessert together with their family, friends and loved ones. Below are some references to celebrate Independence Day in the company of your loved ones.
1. Try making your own almond candy at home. You can search in the internet how to make this dish. This will help you all spend some quality time together and enjoy this sweet snack.
2. Promote on social media and help more people know and participate in the celebration. Do not forget to use the hashtags on your social media handles such as #nationalnougatday, #nougats, #nougatsweettooth, etc.
3. Share nougat with your family and friends. Swap platters of marshmallows with your neighbors to spread the cheer.
4. You can also feel the joy of giving and enjoy it by giving almond candies on this day to those in need. This gesture of love and kindness is sure to fill you with joy. Encouraging others to do the same is an added bonus!
ObservedNational Nougat Day has been observed annually on March 26th.
Saturday, March 26th, 2022
Sunday, March 26th, 2023
Tuesday, March 26th, 2024
Wednesday, March 26th, 2025
Thursday, March 26th, 2026