National Sense of Smell Day
National Sense of Smell Day is observed next on Saturday, April 29th, 2023 (214 days from today).
Have you known how the sense of smell plays a vital role in our daily life and how it is connected with the other senses especially taste?
National Sense of Smell Day is a great opportunity in order to express the gratitude to our gifted sense of smell on last Saturday of every April.
History of National Sense of Smell Day
It is funded annually by the Sense of Smell Institute, an education and research arm of The Fragrance Foundation. National Sense of Smell Day has been celebrated annually since 1994. Many science centers and museums around the country participate in this day by hosting a variety of activities and informational programs about olfaction. An interesting fact about the sense of smell is that our sense of smell is getting stronger and stronger in the evening than in the morning. During the day, our site is a sensation in recognizing hazards, and at night we will feel the fragrance wafting in the stronger wind. National Smell Day is dedicated to this wonderful feeling of ours. Vitamin A plays a key role in our sense of smell and a lack of it can cause “loss of smell or anosmia”.
Interesting truths about National Sense of Smell Day
Each of us has a unique scent. It is said that the distinct smell is caused by the same gene that determines a person's physical and functional characteristics.
- Chemo Detection - The ability to detect chemicals associated with taste or smell is one of the earliest developed senses during fetal development. "By the end of the first trimester, your baby can smell the food you're eating," says Allen, professor of paediatrics and author of Green Parenting.
- In fact, women sense of smell is better than men. This is because the Orbitofrontal region of women is better developed than that of men.
- In a 2014 journal, Scientist identified that 10 billion receptors are present in the nose. It was revealed that the human brain can found more than 1 trillion different smells.
- When you close your eyes, our sense of smell shuts down to give us a peaceful sleep time. Every day, your sense of smell begins working when you enjoy the passionate aroma of coffee.
- To be similar to humans, animals also have their unique smells. Camels love the smell of tobacco and your dog's favorite smell is you.
- To mate, a male silkworm can detect a single female sex hormone molecule from miles away.
Celebrating National Sense of Smell Day
A good way to observe national olfactory day is through daily exercise. It was revealed that after a workout, our brain signals are activated, thus increasing our ability to smell. After a working day, let try to smell your favorite perfume. Participating in this activity not only enhances its growth, but also delays the nature of our decline in sense of smell as we age.
Below are some references in order to improve our sense of smell and protect it carefully.
While cleaning the room, avoid using harsh chemicals as you can inhale the chemicals. Stay away from odors and unpleasant odors because prolonged exposure to it can impair our sense of smell. In unavoidable circumstances, for example, if you are working in the pharmaceutical industry, always wear a mask as it filters out some of the harmful fumes that arise from the chemicals you are exposed to.
The smell of lemon has been found to increase concentration and promote clear thinking. The smell of cinnamon and mint reduces the driver's ability to cause stress on the road. Clean your nose with physiological saline spray and blow your nose regularly during the flu, otherwise it will clog the smell receptors.
Breathing Therapy - Choose your favorite scents like coffee, rose, lemon and sandalwood scents. Continue this practice for three to four months as it gradually promotes the activity of the odor receptors. Enjoy the smell of your delicious food before consuming it.
Do not forget sharing the must-try scent list and some tips for enhancing your sense of smell using the hashtag #senseofsmellday to post on social media for spreading this holiday around the world.
ObservedNational Sense of Smell Day has been observed the last Saturday in April.
Saturday, April 24th, 2021
Saturday, April 30th, 2022
Saturday, April 29th, 2023
Saturday, April 27th, 2024
Saturday, April 26th, 2025