California Kiwifruit Day
California Kiwifruit Day is being observed today!
California Kiwifruit Day is observed annually on February 2nd. It is a day specially dedicated to Kiwi.
Some Benefits of Kiwi for health
- Treat asthma: It is thought that the high amount of vitamin C and antioxidants contained in kiwi can actually help treat people with asthma. A study from 2000 showed beneficial effects on lung function in people who ate fresh fruit regularly, including kiwi. Fresh fruit like kiwi can reduce wheezing in predisposed children.
- Aids digestion: Kiwi is high in fiber, which is good for digestion. They contain an enzyme, called actinidin that can break down proteins. A recent study found Trusted Source that kiwi extract containing actinidin significantly enhances the digestion of most proteins.
- Boosts the immune system: Kiwis are rich in nutrients and packed with vitamin C. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient to boost your immune system to prevent disease. One study even found that kiwi can support immune function and reduce the likelihood of developing cold or flu-like illnesses. This is especially true in at-risk groups such as adults over 65 and young children.
- Reduces risk of other health conditions: Oxidative stress can lead to damage to our DNA. This can lead to health problems. Thanks in part to its antioxidants, there is some evidence from an older study that shows that regular consumption of kiwi or kiwi extract reduces the likelihood of oxidative stress. Since oxidative DNA damage is strongly linked to colon cancer, regular kiwi consumption may also reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Manage blood pressure: Kiwi fruit not only strengthens the immune system but can also help us control blood pressure. A 2014 study found evidence that the bioactive substances in three kiwis per day can lower blood pressure more than one apple per day. In the long term, this could also mean a reduced risk of conditions that can be caused by high blood pressure, like stroke or heart attack.
- Reduces blood clotting: In addition to helping us control blood pressure, kiwi can actually reduce blood clotting. A study from the University of Oslo found that eating 2-3 kiwis per day significantly reduced the risk of blood clots. They also work to reduce the amount of fat in the blood. These effects are similar to that of a daily dose of aspirin to improve heart health, the researchers say.
- Protects against vision loss: Macular degeneration is the leading cause of vision loss and kiwi can help protect your eyes from it. One study found that by eating three servings of fruit per day, macular degeneration was reduced by 36%. Reliable sources High levels of zeaxanthin and lutein are thought to contribute to this effect.
History of California Kiwifruit Day
Where does kiwi fruit come from? I'm sure you mean the land famous for kiwis: fruit, birds and people - New Zealand. It's one of the things we really thought about growing up in the Southern Hemisphere. But kiwi did not arrive in New Zealand until the early 20th century, and was brought from mainland China. But Kiwi adopted yang tao - the Chinese name for kiwi and by 1962 the fruit had become so synonymous with the country that they called it "kiwi fruit", going along with the rest of the country. (It is commonly known that kiwi fruit is named after the kiwi bird, as they are all small, brown and translucent!) Today, New Zealand is not even a major producer of vine-grown berry fruit. It happens to be Italy, the southern land with the best year-round climate for growing kiwi. But it is still the official fruit of New Zealand and people all over the world want to eat kiwi from kiwi land!
So, for the worldwide kiwi lovers, it has a holiday for Kiwi on February 2nd, named California Kiwifruit Day.
How to celebrate California Kiwifruit Day
The best way to celebrate this day is to buy and enjoy kiwifruit with your family and friends together. After, you can share photos about your kiwi to the media by using hashtag #CaliforniaKiwifruitDay to spread and encourage people get involved.
ObservedCalifornia Kiwifruit Day has been observed annually on February 2nd.
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2022
Thursday, February 2nd, 2023
Friday, February 2nd, 2024
Sunday, February 2nd, 2025