National Fart Day

National Fart Day is observed next on Saturday, February 5th, 2022 (70 days from today).

How many days until National Fart Day?

National

National Fart Day has been held on February 5 every year since 2008. It is time for people to release their demons and forget the rituals. After Independence Day, N.F.D. is a nice continuation of all of this.

History of National Fart Day

Everyone farted. The technical term for gas buildup is flatulence, and when someone expels gas from their body, we say they have bloating. That's a nice way of saying it - most people just call it farting. The word "fart" was coined in 1632; it means "to blow the wind out of the anus," and comes from the Old English word "feortan," which means "to block the wind." Farts can travel at speeds of about 10 feet per second, almost 7 miles per hour. On average, people fart about 14 times a day, producing enough gas to fill a balloon. This means that everyone should have plenty of opportunities to fully celebrate Independence Day.

People often fart after eating beans. Other foods that cause bloating include cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, eggs, and dairy products. Pressure builds up while foods like these are broken down and digested in the colon, and it's released by passing through the airways. The gas a fart emits is a mixture of gases such as nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, sulfur dioxide, and methane. About 99% of the gas is odorless, but the remaining 1% can actually smell in the room. The smelly component of farts is usually sulfur. Common gases that give it its odor include dimethyl sulfide, methanethiol, and hydrogen sulfide. Foods like eggs and meat are higher in sulfur and help produce tastier farts.

Methane and hydrogen in farts are flammable. This may not sound like a big deal, but there are examples of cows farting themselves into a fire. That's right, animals fart too. Do you know that women fart less than men? It's not true. The sound of farting varies and depends on the amount of gas being released, the force with which it is released, and the tension of a person's sphincter muscles. People with tight anus farts louder.

Farts have been considered humorous for millennia. Farting jokes are recorded as early as 1900 BC in Sumeria, when a joker said, "Something has never happened since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her lap." Farting jokes have continued into the modern day, often being included in movies and stand-up comedy shows. Whoopie cushions are also used to joke about flatulence.

Flat people are people who fart for a living. Le Pétomane, whose name means "to fart," was a famous flat-fashionist in France in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. More recently, Mr. Methane has brought his talent for farting to the court, even appearing on Britain's Got Talent. Farting is not only performed on stage, but also appears in works by Shakespeare, Chaucer and Dante. Benjamin Franklin even wrote an essay titled "Proud of Fart."

What exactly is a fart?

Flatulence — which occurs in nearly all living things — is a mixture of hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and in some cases, methane. These gases are produced as a by-product of the trillions of bacteria that break down food during digestion.

Can farts be measured?

Yes, they can use a “rectal catheter,” researchers can push a tube up a patient’s stool to determine the volume of gas produced during sacred farting.

Farts exit the anus and enter the world at a rate of 10 feet per second, or slightly less than seven miles per hour.

How to celebrate National Fart Day

  • Fart. There are healthy foods like beans and cruciferous vegetables that can help you fart more than today's average.
  • Conversely, if you're already a big meat eater, you can celebrate the day by learning about ways to reduce the frequency of farts.
  • Count how many times you fart.
  • Plan a trip to the World Farting Championship. They have been held in Finland before, taking place in 2013 and 2018.
  • Pick up an infinity cushion and play a farting prank.
  • Tell some fart jokes.
  • Hear some farting noises.
  • Read Proud of Fart by Benjamin Franklin.
  • Get some underwear or fart pills that smell like roses or chocolate.

Observed

National Fart Day has been observed annually on February 5th.

Dates

Wednesday, February 5th, 2020

Friday, February 5th, 2021

Saturday, February 5th, 2022

Sunday, February 5th, 2023

Monday, February 5th, 2024

Also on Saturday, February 5th, 2022

You may so like

How many days until February 5th?