National Popcorn Day
National Popcorn Day is observed next on Thursday, January 19th, 2023 (200 days from today).
January 19 is National Popcorn Day to celebrate one of nature's most special foods: popcorn! Popcorn has the unique ability to literally transform itself from the inside out, delivering the goodness of whole grains in a delicious snack.
Origin of National Popcorn Day
To discuss the history of Popcorn day, one must understand the history of Popcorn. Corn was originally obtained from a small grass with a kernel not much different from the grain of wheat. Careful selection and generations of crossbreeding produced what we think of today as corn. When settlers came to the New World from the Ancient Capital, they discovered this wonderful plant and it has been used for quite some time.
Sometimes along the lines (maybe even thousands of years ago!), it was found that certain corn kernels, when subjected to heat, would pop out and reveal their soft endosperm for a single instant clouds around their shells. It wasn't long before it was discovered to be a light and delicious snack, and cultivation led to the popcorn we have today.
There are actually two types of popcorn, but the familiar yellow popcorn we often see in movie theaters is by far the most common. Popcorn has been used for everything from arts and crafts to the foundation of some of the most popular dishes around. You can find it anywhere you go. The National Popcorn Board decided that this sponge cake needed a day of celebration and recognition of its own, and so Popcorn Day was born!
How to Celebrate Popcorn Day
To celebrate Popcorn Day is so simple and delicious.
Ways to Enjoy Popcorn
You can make this with the classic butter and salt mix, or get creative and add your favorite spices and herbs to it! There really isn't anything that isn't great with it. For a mild heart-healthy addition, you can omit the avocado and shake it with herbs like rosemary and thyme, or spice it up with cayenne pepper. In other ways, you can forgo the healthy options and bury it under a delicious bacon and caramel coating, and really enjoy the decadence.
Go Global with Popcorn
First available in the US in the early 1800s, this delightful dish has become so popular that it is now a delicacy found all over the world. Especially, different places will have different ways to enjoy their popcorn:
- Japan. Beyond standards, people here appreciate flavors like honey, milk tea, and curry.
- Europe. Here enjoyed as a sugary treat, popcorn is often sold in bags at movie theaters, rather than fresh popcorn.
- Nigeria. Best enjoyed by microwaving, a favorite flavor of popcorn here is fruit chutney.
- India. In addition to the standard butter and salted popcorn, the butter popcorn here also has unique flavors such as miso soup, Thai red coconut, and garlic anchovies.
Making craft with Popcorn
You can also celebrate popcorn day by making crafts with it! Popcorn cords make a great decoration either use them to make a wreath or even glue it to construction paper for a collage.
String or glue popcorn onto metal or foam to create a festive popcorn wreath to welcome friends to your Popcorn Day party. And don't forget to paint and glitter to make it even more sparkly!
Popcorn is also used as a filling for glass Christmas decorations to make cute decorations.
Grab Some Gourmet Popcorn
If making popcorn at home isn't fun then get creative by including some of these gourmet popcorn brands in celebration. These companies are dedicated to creating the best they can offer in popcorn treats:
- Garrett Popcorn Store. Originally located in the Chicago area, this company specializes in blending Caramel and Cheese flavors for a more unique blend. Stores can now be found not only in the United States but also in many parts of Asia as well as the United Arab Emirates.
- KuKuRuZa Gourmet Popcorn. Started in Seattle but named after the Russian word for “corn,” the company now does business in many countries in Asia and the Middle East, with online ordering around the world. Specialty flavors include Truffle Fromage Porcini, Seattle Style (Espresso Caramel), and Butter Brown & Sea Salt.
- Harry & David's Moose Munch. On the sweeter side of things, Moose Munch is a popcorn treat that has been delighting fans for 25 years with a blend of popcorn, nuts, and chocolate. If there aren't any local stores nearby, ordering online is easy – or copying recipes can help you easily recreate at home.
- Proper corn. A fast growing UK company, this popcorn company started operations in 2009 and has been satisfying healthy snackers ever since! Look for flavors like Sweet Coconut & Vanilla or Sour Cream & Black Pepper available in grocery stores in Europe as well as online in other countries.
The joy of popcorn can be enjoyed almost any time, but Popcorn Day is a special day to celebrate this delicacy. Popcorn is delicious, affordable, healthy (i.e., before all the butter, salt or sugar is added!) and can be enjoyed in so many ways that are sure to please everyone around.
Get creative for this special celebration and live Popcorn Day to the fullest with kids and adults of all ages!
ObservedNational Popcorn Day has been observed annually on January 19th.
Tuesday, January 19th, 2021
Wednesday, January 19th, 2022
Thursday, January 19th, 2023
Friday, January 19th, 2024
Sunday, January 19th, 2025