National Rocky Road Day
(Also known as National Rocky Road Ice Cream Day)
National Rocky Road Day is observed next on Friday, June 2nd, 2023 (239 days from today).
Commemorating the iconic dessert and ice cream flavor, National Rocky Road Day is celebrated every year on the 2nd of June.
National Rocky Road Day is a day dedicated to eating Rocky Road ice cream; a dessert made of marshmallows, nuts, and chocolate.
In addition to ice cream, Rocky Road is actually a popular dessert that is even older than ice cream. In fact, it was this dessert that inspired ice cream made with the same ingredients.
But National Rocky Road Day can certainly be relied upon to celebrate one - or both - of these decadent treats.
Why National Rocky Road Day?
Ice cream is one of the most loved desserts in the world and it is loved by everyone regardless of age. There are many reasons to love ice cream with different flavors available to satisfy the hunger of different people and to suit the tastes of different cuisines. And this day is just another way to celebrate this wonderful dessert and enjoy it with friends and family. It is a day to gather with loved ones over ice cream that everyone loves.
You can also try inventing new flavors with Rocky Road ice cream, which is another reason you might want to celebrate the day. This is the day to experiment with new flavors and try your hand at determining the best combination. After all, it's a day to enjoy ice cream and there's no better reason to celebrate this day, especially during the summer, in June.
History of National Rocky Road Day
Desserts on rock sugar were first created in Australia in 1853. Many businessmen took these confectionery items spoiled by long journeys from Europe and skillfully mixed them with available nuts locally. Also, they added some low quality chocolate and then tried to recover them instead of throwing them out. It's really ingenious.
The name is used to refer to the rocky road that tourists use to reach the gold mines. Since the dessert looked like a rather bumpy road full of rocks and potholes, the name stuck.
Years later, the dessert was turned into ice cream - ice cream sugar. It was invented by William Dreyer of Oakland, in 1929. He made an ice cream that included the same ingredients as the original dessert. It was created to lift the spirits of those hit hard by the fall of Wall Street and the Great Depression that followed in the 1930s. The name of the cream was given to bring a smile to the face of everyone. The tagline used for this dish at the time was "share a scoop, share a smile".
George Farren also claims that he created the rock sugar ice cream. It is said that he doesn't do much and just mixes a candy bar and chocolate ice cream together in a mixer to create a creamy dessert flavor.
Interesting facts about National Rocky Road Day
Rocky Road is undoubtedly the most popular choice for flavoring ice cream and desserts. And to celebrate this flavor for ice cream, we bring you some interesting excerpts about ice cream in general for you to explore.
- To make one gallon of ice cream, you will need up to 12 pounds of milk.
- The US has the record for the most amount of ice cream the average person enjoys in their lifetime, at about 48 pints per year.
- One scoop of ice cream cone requires at least 50 licks to polish it clean.
- While the US leads the ice cream consumption chart, Australia and Norway follow with maximum consumption on the list.
- The first time ice cream recipes were written down was in 1665.
- William Dreyer of Oakland created the ice cream flavor of Rocky Road in 1929, although the dessert originated in 1853 in Australia.
- It was in 1988 when the largest cream puff was produced in Canada's Edmonton, Alberta.
- While the United States tops the chart for maximum ice cream consumption per person, the nation's Portland in Oregon tops the chart for top ice cream consumption among cities.
- William Dreyer mixed marshmallows and chopped walnuts with chocolate flavored ice cream to create this Rocky sugar flavor. The name of this ice cream went down a rocky road during the stock market crash in the same year that this ice cream flavor was released.
How to celebrate National Rocky Road Day
- There's a party on the rocky road
This is a day you enjoy with your best friends and family. Therefore, you can invite everyone you know to eat ice cream and dessert on the rocky road. Everyone can make new friends and you can all enjoy one of the most popular flavors in the United States.
- Popularize it on social media
You can enjoy and celebrate National Rocky Road Day and post all your pictures and videos of celebrating the day on social media with relevant hashtags. This popularizes the event and makes more people aware of the event. It helps the holiday grow in reach.
- Give flavor to the rocky road
On this day, create new ice cream flavors and desserts on ice and invite your friends to enjoy them. Ask them for feedback to improve your recipe!
ObservedNational Rocky Road Day has been observed annually on June 2nd.
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021
Thursday, June 2nd, 2022
Friday, June 2nd, 2023
Sunday, June 2nd, 2024
Monday, June 2nd, 2025