National Chocolate Chip Day
National Chocolate Chip Day is observed next on Monday, May 15th, 2023 (163 days from today).
National Chocolate Chip Day is a day to celebrate the tiny morsels of chocolate that make any dessert even better.
Is there anything better than chocolate? Obviously not, that's why the last portable chocolate was designed, the chocolate chip. Chocolate chips are not only easy to transport, but also very versatile! Want to make any cookie better? More chocolate chips! (Oatmeal, Macadamia, Peanut Butter? All cookies taste better with chocolate chips!) National Chocolate Chip Day celebrates these amazing little culinary inventions and all they can do.
History of National Chocolate Chip Day
The creator and founder of National Chocolate Day are still unknown. The origin of chocolate chips is rooted in American culture; then it was the only state that prepared Ruth Graves Wakefield's chocolate chip cookies during the 1930s. The true origins of chocolate chips and cookies are in 19th century England. This is the first reference to the making of chocolate chips and the origin of chocolate chips, then in 1896 Kaufmann Candy started running their ads because their chocolate contained a certain amount of chocolate chips large chocolate balls. But chocolate chip cookies were made famous by Ruth Wakefield, most of who were inspired by their chocolate chip cookies.
Ruth Wakefield created and published a recipe in the 1930s called Toll House Chocolate Crunch Cookies in her cookbook titled "Ruth Wakefield's Toll House, Tried and True Recipes". The recipe was marketed as an accidental discovery by Ruth, but in a later interview she said she had invented it on purpose.
However, now no one knows who the founder of National Chocolate Chip Day is. Furthermore, the day is celebrated on several days and depending on the existence of the holiday the holiday is celebrated as National Chocolate Day. Most people celebrate this day as National Chocolate Day, and some others celebrate it as National Cookie Day.
Some reasons for National Chocolate Chip Day being loved
- Chocolate chips everywhere!
They may have been created with a purpose in mind, but chocolates have branched out since their early days as cookie fillers. These days, it's hard to think of a confection without a chocolate lid, whether it's pancakes, muffins, or cream puffs.
- Choices… oh, so many options!
Chocolate chips have finally found their way into classic chocolate chip cookies made with semi-sweet chocolate, but in keeping with the times, they now come in a wide range of options - from white chocolate, to dark chocolate, and all the way to caramelization - make sure, no matter what you're baking, there's room for fries!
- Even big or small, we will eat them all!
Everyone loves chocolate chip without caring much more about its size. They can be small (as long as it's enough to have more than one!), or they can be large, as in the case of Immaculate Baking's 40,000-pound Guinness World Record Breaker, but regardless of size, they're sure to attract crowds. The fact that chocolate chips were used to break the record for the largest cookie in the world is just a testament to their popularity and it can be said that they will always have a place on any baker's shelf.
How to celebrate National Chocolate Chip Day
- Hack The Kitchen: Chocolate for dinner
Most chefs know how to use tried-and-true flavor combinations to great effect, but the best cooks create entirely new combinations. Try using chocolate chips in dinner recipes for a real challenge. If you're looking for a place to start, you might consider trying out the mole removal recipe in the section below!
- How Big Can You Bake It?
You probably won't hit the world record, but National Chocolate Chip Day is the perfect occasion to try baking the biggest chocolate chip cookie you can.
- Art you can eat
With a combination of chocolate chips, M&Ms, and some other similarly sized chocolate candies, you're on your way to a kid-friendly edible art project! However, this can get messy, so it's probably a project best suited for the kitchen!
How to make some Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pops
- 10 oz dark chocolate melting wafers
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of sugar
- One and ½ cups of brown sugar
- One cup of unsalted butter, which has been softened to room temperature
- One and ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- Sprinkles are optional!
- In a large bowl, put the softened butter and sugar inside. Use an electric mixer to make the two ingredients together until they become creamy.
- Add salt and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the sifted, cooled flour mixture. Stir until ingredients are completely combined.
- Stir them in.
- You should now have your cookie dough mixture. Scoop the dough into a ball and ½ tbsp. Roll the mixture between your palms until it become a smoothest mixture.
- Place the balls on a baking tray lined with wax paper and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- While the dough cools in the refrigerator, you can prepare a box of cookie dough to put inside. You can use a piece of Styrofoam or any other type of box you have around the house to make a small hole in the surface. Make sure that the cookie sheet will fit through the hole and that the stick will be supported after the cookie dough has been added to its end.
- Once your cookie dough balls have cooled completely, you can prepare the melted wafers. There should be instructions on the packaging. It is best to follow this.
- Place a baking stick in a cookie dough ball, and then dip it in the melted chocolate. Drain off excess chocolate, and sprinkle with a little more chocolate if you like.
ObservedNational Chocolate Chip Day has been observed annually on May 15th.
Saturday, May 15th, 2021
Sunday, May 15th, 2022
Monday, May 15th, 2023
Wednesday, May 15th, 2024
Thursday, May 15th, 2025